- 3 Your score for the hole is 3 = 2 talent strokes + 1 penalty stroke. This feat was actually accomplished by Fred Couples during the 1999 Players Championship! You incurred the penalty stroke per Rule 26-1a [Relief for Ball in Water Hazard] by proceeding under the stroke and distance provision of Rule 27-1. Per Rule 20-5 [Making Stroke from Where Previous Stroke Made], when you elect to return to the teeing ground, you may play your next stroke from anywhere within the teeing ground and the ball may be teed.
- 4 Your score for the hole is 4 = 2 talent strokes + 2 penalty strokes. The Definition of “Obstruction” states, in part, “An “obstruction” is anything artificial … except … Any construction declared by the Committee to be an integral part of the course.” Since the bulkhead is not an immovable obstruction, you were not entitled to relief under Rule 24-2 [Immovable Obstruction] and were not authorized to pick up your ball in play. Thus, you incurred a total penalty of two strokes under Rule 18-2 [Ball at Rest Moved by Player …] for lifting your ball in play and not replacing it.
- 6 Your score for the hole is 6 = 4 talent strokes + 2 penalty strokes. You are penalized two strokes for picking up a loose impediment lying in the hazard when your ball is also in the hazard per Rule 13-4 [Ball in Hazard; Prohibited Actions]. However, you are not penalized for grounding your club on the bulkhead within the hazard. The Note to Rule 13-4 points out, in part, “At any time, including at address or in the backward movement for the stroke, the player may touch with a club or otherwise … any construction declared by the Committee to be an integral part of the course ….”
- 5 Your score for the hole is 5 = 4 talent strokes + 1 penalty stroke. You proceeded correctly under Rule 26-1a incurring the stroke and distance penalty. Per Rule 20-5, when you return to the putting green to play your next stroke from where the previous stroke was made, you are required to place the ball on the putting green.
5. 14 Your score for the hole is 14 = 8 talent strokes + 6 penalty strokes. You incurred the stroke and distance penalty per Rule 26-1a for each ball that ended up in the hazard.