- True Note 1 to Rule 17-1 [Flagstick Attended, Removed or Held Up] states, “If the flagstick is in the hole and anyone stands near it while a stroke is being made, he is deemed to be attending the flagstick.” Decision 17-1/1 [Meaning of “Stands Near the Hole”] clarifies that if a person is close enough to touch the flagstick, then he is considered to be “standing near the hole.”
- False Rule 16-1/c [Repair of Hole Plugs, Ball Marks and Other Damage] points out that you may repair an old hole plug or damage to the putting green caused by the impact of a ball. Any other damage to the putting green must not be repaired if it might assist you in your subsequent play of the hole. However, Decision 16-1a/16.5 [Spike Mark on Line of Putt Pressed Down When Player Repairs Old Hole Plug] indicates that, in repairing an old hole plug, there is no penalty for repairing a spike mark that happens to be within the old hole plug.
- False The Definition of “Bunker” confirms that the margin of a bunker extends vertically downwards, but not upwards. This Definition also states, “A ball is in a bunker when it lies in or any part of it touches the bunker.” Decision 13/5 [Ball Lying on Obstruction in Bunker] advises, “Although the margin of a bunker does not extend upwards, a ball lying on an obstruction in a bunker is in the bunker.” It follows that a ball lying on a loose impediment in a bunker is in the bunker.
- True Rule 4-4a [Selection and Addition of Clubs] states, “The player must not start a stipulated round with more than fourteen clubs. He is limited to the clubs thus selected for that round, except that if he started with fewer than fourteen clubs, he may add any number, provided his total number does not exceed fourteen.” If you had started the round with fourteen clubs, then you would not have been permitted to replace either your lost putter or your pitching wedge which was not damaged in the normal course of play. See Decision 4-3/10 [Replacement of Club Lost During Round] and Decision 4-3/8 [Player Starting with 13 Clubs Breaks Putter in Anger and Replaces It].
- False Rule 13-2 [Improving Lie, Area of Intended Stance or Swing, or Line of Play] specifies, in part, that you must not improve the area of your intended swing by moving anything that is growing. However, you incur no penalty if this action occurs in fairly taking your stance.
- False The Definition of “Through the Green” states, in part, “”Through the green” is the whole area of the course except: a. The teeing ground and the putting green of the hole being played.”
- False Rule 4-4b [Partners May Share Clubs] states, “Partners may share clubs, provided that the total number of clubs carried by the partners so sharing does not exceed fourteen.”
- True According to Rule 20-2c(i) [When to Re-Drop], a dropped ball must be re-dropped, without penalty, if it rolls into and comes to rest in a hazard.